05 August 2019 - NW414
McGluwa, Mr JJ to ask the Minister of Home Affairs:
(1) What is the current outstanding number of identity documents (IDs) to be collected from his department by citizens; (2) Are any IDs being destroyed by his department; if not, why not; if so, what are the reasons; (3) What is the current quantity of documents earmarked for distribution by his department around the Republic in each of the nine provinces; (4) Whether he has found that the collection of IDs in each province is satisfactory; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details; (5) Whether there is any delay in the collection of IDs; if so, what are the relevant details? NW1386E
1. Currently there are 389 574 uncollected ID documents.
2. Yes, the ID’s are being destroyed by the Department, if the client was issued with a new ID or the client is deceased.
3. Currently ± 15 000 ID documents are distributed per day.
4. Not Satisfactory. The Department has dedicated counters for collection however clients delay to collect their ID documents after receiving the SMS notification.
5. Yes, there are delays in the collections of ID documents. Clients are not collecting their ID documents immediately after they receive the SMS notification that the ID document is ready for collection.