27 September 2018 - NW2737
Paulsen, Mr N M to ask the Minister of Science and Technology
1. Whether her department has any standing agreements and/or contracts with a certain person (Mr Melusi Ntuli), if not what is the position in this regard; if so,(a) when were the agreements and/or contracts signed and (b) what they for in each case?
The Department of Science and Technology (DST) does not have any standing agreement with Mr Melusi Ntuli.
The DST is the custodian of the Grassroots Innovation Programme, which is implemented by the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) on behalf of the department. Mr Ntuli was a beneficiary to the programme. He concluded a Memorandum of Agreement with the CSIR on 29 November 2016 which was terminated on 21 July 2017, at his request.
Mr Ntuli has innovated the Chargeless Electric Engine, which is meant to be an alternative to the current piston and turbine engines. It has a PSDC motor that operates as the heart of the engine. The chargeless motor engine is also intended to be used in aircrafts and helicopter propulsion.
operates as the heart of the engine. The chargeless motor engine is also intended to be used in aircrafts and helicopter propulsion.
a) The Memorandum of Agreement between the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research and Mr Ntuli was signed on 29 November 2016 and was terminated on 21 July 2017.
b) The agreement between Mr Ntuli and the CSIR was concluded to assist Mr Ntuli's innovation, the chargeless electric engine, with a technology assistance package. The Grassroots Innovation Programme assists beneficiaries with the following;
- Product research and development with a subject matter expert at institutions of higher learning, science council and/ or technology transfer office;
- Product design and machining support through a technology station with machining expertise;
- Product electronic support through a technology stations with eleGtronics specific expertise;
- Product testing with testing and certification bodies to meet/comply with standards body;
- Intellectual Property protection of the innovation/ invention; and
- Marketing and profiling of the innovators and their innovations.
The assistance granted to Mr Ntuli through the programme is valued at R205 096.00 and covered the payment for design and machining expertise, provision of management development support and training as well as marketing and profiling his innovation.