11 March 2019 - NW201
Maynier, Mr D to ask the Minister of Police
Whether (a) his spouse and/or (b) an adult family member accompanied him on any official international trip (i) in each of the past five financial years and (ii) since 1 April 2018; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what (aa) is the name of the person(s), (bb) was the (aaa) purpose and (bbb) destination of the trip and (cc) was the (aaa) total cost and (bbb) detailed breakdown of the costs of the accompanying person(s) to his department; (2) whether each of the specified trips were approved by the President in terms of the provisions of Section 1, Annexure A of the Ministerial Handbook; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
1. The Minister of Police, Hon B.H Cele was accompanied by his spouse, Mrs
T.M Cele to Dubai from 18 to 21 November 2018. This is the only official international trip whereby the Minister was accompanied by his spouse, in the last financial year, April 2018 to date. The name of the person is Mrs Thembeka Mary — Ann Cele (spouse). The purpose of the official trip was to attend the 87!* lnterpol General Assembly Session as per invitation from the Ministry of Interior, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Commander —In-Chief of Dubai Police, Major General, Abdullah Khalifa AI Marri.
The total breakdown of the expenditure for the trip is as follows:
- Flight air ticket (return) — R 60, 926.68 X 2 = R 121, 853.36
- Accommodation: X3 nights at the Sheraton Mall of the Emirates Hotel — R 5,070.00 per night X 3 = R 15,210.00.
- Car Hire for four (4) days = R 21, 840.00.
- Daily Allowance —R 9442.60 each
2. The specified international official trip, Dubai (18 to 21 November 2018) was approved by the President of the Republic of South Africa as per Section 1, Annexure A of the Ministerial Handbook.
BH Cele Date: &