22 February 2019 - NW85
Selfe, Mr J to ask the Minister of Justice and Correctional Services
(1)Whether a certain person,( prison number: 204156644 ), who is currently serving a life sentence, qualifies to be considered for release on parole; if so, on what date did the specified person become eligible for release on parole; (2) whether the specified person has completed all the courses and programmes required to become eligible for release on parole; if not, which courses or programmes must still be completed; (3) what was the National Council for Correctional Services’ recommendation regarding the specified person’s eligibility for release on parole; (4) whether he has given consideration whether to grant the specified person parole; if so, (a) on what date did he consider the application, (b) what was the outcome of his decision and (c) on what date was the decision taken?
1. Yes, offender (prison number: 204156644) is currently serving a life sentence at Qalakabusha Correctional Centre and was eligible for consideration on 26 September 2016.
(2) No, offender is still required to undergo individual psychotherapy with a Psychologist.
(3) The NCCS recommendations were that:
- The offender should undergo intensive further therapy as recommended by the Psychologist;
- The offender should be subjected to individual psychotherapy to address anger issues and the harm caused to the victim;
- A copy of sentencing remarks in the case of CC145/04 to be obtained from the Pietermaritzburg High Court and attached when the profile is resubmitted. In the event the sentencing remarks cannot be obtained, all efforts to obtain same should be documented and a comprehensive report furnished detailing, inter alia, the reasons for failure to obtain such;
- The offender should attend the Behaviour Modification programme;
- The offender should be assisted to upskill vocationally/ educationally to assist him with prospects of obtaining employment once he is placed on parole. Certificates should be attached when the profile is resubmitted;
- A copy of SAP62 should be included when the profile is resubmitted.
(a) 14 February 2018.
(b) A further profile should be submitted in 18 months with the expectation that all 6 recommendations as stated in question 3 would have been executed upon which placement on parole would be reconsidered.
(c) 14 February 2018.