20 December 2018 - NW3752
Figg, Mr MJ to ask the Minister of Public Works
(1) What is the total amount that his department spent on each ministerial house in (a) Pretoria and (b) Cape Town (i) in the 2017-18 financial year and (ii) since 1 April 2018; (2) whether any renovations were conducted in any ministerial residence in the (a) 2016-17, (b) 2017-18 and (c) 2018-19 financial year; if not, when last were any renovations conducted; if so, (i) what was the (aa) nature and (bb) total cost of the renovations and (ii) which ministerial houses were renovated; (3) (a) what is the total monetary value of each ministerial residence that is currently managed by his department, (b) what is the location of each property and (c) what is the name of each Minister who occupies each property; (4) what are the details of each piece of furniture that was purchased for each ministerial residence managed by his department in the (a) 2017-18 financial year and (b) since 1 April 2018? NW4328E
(1) (a) The total amount spend on maintenance on each ministerial house in Pretoria and Cape Town for the 2017/18 financial year is R14 589 975.93 and from April 2018 to date is R7 991 958.59. Maintenance on Pretoria Ministerial residences is done through day to day maintenance and in Cape Town through a facility management service provider.
(b) The total houses spent on maintenance for Ministerial houses in Cape Town in the 2017/2018 financial year is R31,261,964.14 and from 01 April 2018 to date is R14,433,092.79.
(2) (a), (b) and (c) The last renovations conducted were in the 2015/16 financial year to three houses and the total cost was R9 391 355.47. The works mainly comprised of security measures including the construction of boundary walls, guard huts, installation of cameras and monitors, as well installations of electric fences.
(3) (a) Using the municipal valuations the total monetary value of Ministerial residences in Pretoria is R116 720 199.50. and for Cape Town the total value is R824 735 471.00.
(b) and (c) For security I cannot disclose the locations of the Ministerial residences and the names of the Ministers and Deputy Ministers concerned.
(4) (a) The furniture items that were purchased for 2017-2018 financial year for Ministerial Houses in the Gauteng Province comprise 2x queen sized base and mattress set plus 2x single sixed base and mattress set to the total value of R87 381.00.
(b) From 1 April 2018 to date 4x oil heaters were purchased to the value of R9770.80
There were other furniture items purchased for Cape Town Ministerial Residences, including1x wing back chair; 1xTV stand; 1x 4 seater table; 4x all weather chairs; 2x seater leather sofa; 1x extra length bed set; 1x extra length mattress; 10x dining room chairs; 1x kitchen table; 8x kitchen chairs; 1x couch; 1x fridge; 1x freezer; 2x single bed sets; 1x queen sized bed set. By the time of providing this reply the values were not yet available.
It is important to note that the majority of the furniture items allocated to Ministers and Deputy Ministers are re-used furniture from Prestige stores.