03 October 2018 - NW2333
Matiase, Mr NS to ask the MINISTER OF RURAL DEVELOPMENT AND LAND REFORM
(1) (a) What number of labour disputes are currently being faced by (i) her department and (ii) the entities reporting to her, (b) what is the cause of each dispute, (c) what is the nature of each dispute and (d) on what date was each dispute (i) reported and (ii) resolved; (2) (a)(i) what number of employees have been dismissed by her department in the past five years and (ii) for what reason was each employee dismissed and (b)(i) what number of the specified employees were paid severance packages and (ii) what was the monetary value of each severance package? NW2510E
1. (a)(i) The Department is currently facing 48 (those with more than one applicant counted as one) disputes.
(a)(ii) No disputes are currently being faced by the Ingonyama Trust Board (ITB) and the Office of the Valuer-General, both entities under the Minister of Rural Development and Land Reform
(b) These vary but include the following:
- Non-renewal of fixed-term contracts
- Performance assessments and related bonuses
- Non OSD translations
- Non-payment of leave days not taken
- Non- upgrading to higher salary levels
- Placement on pre-cautionary suspension
- Outcomes of Disciplinary Enquiries
(c) Nature of dispute. This includes:
- Unfair dismissals in terms of section 186(1) of LRA
- Unfair labour practice relating to promotion in terms of section 186(2)(a) of the LRA
- Interpretation of collective agreements
- Unfair labour practice relating to benefits in terms of section 186(2)(a) of the LRA
- Unfair labour practice relating to unfair suspension of an employee or disciplinary action short of dismissal in terms of section 186(2)(b)
(d)(i) see information relating to dates of disputes reported Annexure A.
(d)(ii) see information relating to dates of disputes resolved Annexure B.
(2) (a)( i) The Department dismissed 51 employees during the past 5 years
(a)(ii) Reasons for dismissal
8 employees dismissed for absenteeism.
1 employee dismissed for assault.
6 employees dismissed for fraud / forged signature / fraudulent medical certificate and overtime claim.
1 employee dismissed for damage to state vehicle
7 employees dismissed for abscondment
1 employee dismissed for falsification of performance assessment
1 employee dismissed for having two employment contacts
1 employee dismissed for insubordination
1 employee dismissed for irregular appointment of service provider
6 employees dismissed for irregularities in Land Reform projects
1 employee dismissed for misrepresentation of beneficiary information
3 employees dismissed for misrepresentation of disciplinary record from previous employment.
1 employee dismissed for misrepresentation of information related to service provider
1 employee dismissed for misrepresentation of criminal record on appointment
2 employees dismissed for misuse of GG vehicle / use for private purpose
3 employees dismissed for negligence and misrepresentation of information in handling Land Reform projects
1 employee dismissed for negligence with regard to payment and verification of restitution claimants
2 employees dismissed for soliciting bribe from a land reform beneficiary
1 employee dismissed for unauthorized use of GG vehicle
1 employee dismissed for unauthorized use of hired vehicle
1 employee dismissed for financial misconduct regarding e-cadastre project
1 employee dismissed for unauthorized use of Ministry letterhead.
(b)(i) no employee was paid a severance package in the past 5 years
(b)(ii) no monetary value as there were no severance packages.