A summary of this committee meeting is not yet available.
SPORT AND RECREATION PORTFOLIO COMMITTEE
9 March 2001
SOUTH AFRICAN SPORTS COMMISSION AMENDMENT BILL: BRIEFING BY MINISTER
South African Sports Commission Amendment Bill [B2-2001]
Proposed Amendments (see document)
The Minister of Sport and Recreation, Mr Ngconde Balfour, briefed the committee on the Bill. The Minister presented the proposed amendments that the Department had prepared to replace the previously tabled format. He proceeded to read out the amendments clause by clause. For detail on the proposed amendments refer to the Annexure below.
The Chairperson proposed that the committee meet on Tuesday, 20 March 2001 to discuss the proposed amendments.
Mr H Chauke (ANC) felt that there is no need to debate the amendments to the Bill, as it would seem that the committee is in agreement with them. He stated that all that remains is for the committee to vote on the Bill.
The Chairperson stated that proper procedure needs to be followed. She proposed the committee meet on the 20 March 2001 to deliberate on the proposed amendments. The committee agreed.
The meeting was adjourned.
SASC AMENDMENT BILL (AMENDMENTS TO PREVIOUS FORMAT)
Bolded words in brackets - to be taken out
Underlined words - to be inserted
The following definition has been inserted after par (a):
"(b) the insertion of the following definition after the definition of "Commission":
'board of the Commission' means the persons elected and
appointed as members of the Commission in terms of section 4(1)(a) and (b)."
Clause 2 has been deleted in toto as the clause should remain as it is in the original Act.
A new section 4(1)(c) after par (b) has been inserted to read as follows:
"(c) the General Assembly.".
The clause has been amended to read as follows:
"Term of office
5. The members of the board of the Commission will serve for a period of [five] three years and will be eligible for election or appointment for not more than two consecutive terms of office.".
This clause has been amended to read as follows:
7.  A member of the board of the Commission may resign by giving written notice of at least three months to the Chairperson subject to the approval of the Minister but the Chairperson may accept a shorter notice period.
[(2) The member contemplated in subsection (1) must submit the written notice to the Chairperson, who must forward the notice to the Minister without delay.]
The following words at the end of clause 7(b) after the word "Minister" have been added:
"after consultation with an independent tribunal appointed by the Minister.".
The words "the amount of R1 million per year" in par (iA) of clause 8(b) have been substituted with the words " such an amount as may be determined by the Minister from time to time in writing"
Clause 9 has been substituted with the following clause:
"Section 14 of the principal Act is amended by the substitution for subsection (1) of the following subsection:
(1) The board of the Commission must amongst its own number appoint a Chairperson of the Commission for a period not exceeding 12 months.
(2) A person may not be re-elected as a Chairperson for more than two consecutive terms without the approval of the Minister.
(3) In the absence of the Chairperson the executive of the Commission may designate a person amongst its own number to chair a meeting.".
(4) The Chairperson decides where and when the Commission meets.
The clause has been substituted with the following clause:
(1) The [Commission] Minister must, after consultation with the [Minister] board of the Commission and in consultation with the Cabinet, appoint a suitably qualified person as Chief Executive Officer of the Commission.
Clause 11(a) has been substituted to read as follows:
"(a) by the substitution for subsection (1) of the following section:
"(1) The [Commission] Minister may, as a result of a vacancy in the office of the Chief Executive Officer, after consultation with the [Commission] executive of the Commission, appoint any person as Acting Chief Executive Officer who will not serve for a period not exceeding [of] 1 year, which may be renewed at the expiry thereof.".
An additional clause to clause 17 (section 1 7 now becomes section 17(1)) has been added to read as follows:
27.(1) The Commission must within [four] five months after the end of each financial year submit a full report to the Minister on its activities during that financial year, and the Minister [will] must table that report in Parliament.
(2) The Commission must furnish the Minister with such information in relation to its activities as the Minister from time to time may require.".
The following clause must be inserted after clause 17:
18. The principal Act is amended by the substitution for the word 'Commission" wherever it occurs in sections 6(1) and 2,11(1), 13(1), (2) and (3) 15(1) and (3) 16(1) and (2), 20(1). 21(1), 29(2) (3) and (4) and 30(h), of the expression 'board of the Commission".
No related documents
- We don't have attendance info for this committee meeting
Download as PDF
You can download this page as a PDF using your browser's print functionality. Click on the "Print" button below and select the "PDF" option under destinations/printers.
See detailed instructions for your browser here.