Boxing South Africa Annual Performance and Strategic Plans

Sports, Arts and Culture

30 October 2020
Chairperson: Ms B Dlulane (ANC)
Share this page:

Meeting Summary

Video: Portfolio Committee on Sport, Arts and Culture, (National Assembly) 30 Oct 2020

The Committee convened on a virtual platform to receiving a briefing from Boxing South Africa, on the entity’s annual performance plan and strategic plans for the current financial year. The Minister of Sports, Arts and Culture was in attendance.

Boxing South Africa gave an overview of its organisation’s state during the pandemic as well as its plans going forward. The presentation also outlined the mandate of the organisation. During the 2019/ 2020 financial year, the number of the licensees showed a lower figure compared to previous years, as result of the effects of the pandemic but also new rules of governance; that resulted in some promoters not being able to stay in boxing.

Boxing SA has been working on their relationships with their stakeholders such as the broadcasters and the South African National Boxing Association (SANABO). They have engaged with the broadcasters regarding the broadcasting of boxing tournaments and the times that they are shown on television. There have commitments from the South African Broadcasting Commission and SuperSport to look into broadcasting the tournaments. They also started exploring other platforms such as online platform in order to expose boxing to the public.

In terms of development, the entity has focused on the development of women and looking for ways to promote women in boxing. Moreover, their engagement with the Boxing Association has seen to a process of developing a Memorandum of Understanding as they look to house the Association in the Boxing SA premises.

Some of the affected boxers received funds from the Relief Fund during the lockdown. Boxing SA also distributed personal protective equipment to some of the training gyms across the country in order to assist them during the lockdown. However, they were not able to present the Committee with the statistics and figures of the distribution of the equipment.

While the Committee seemed to have welcomed the report, Members raised some issues regarding the unavailability of the figures and statistics pertaining to the distributed personal protective equipment. There were also questions asked regarding the relationship between the Boxing SA and the Boxing Association.

Questions were also asked about the Boxing SA’s engagements with the licensees and the SABC, especially in the context of the upcoming march by the licensees. Members brought up the issue of boxing not being seen in the public and questioned Boxing SA on what they were doing about it.

Another major problem that Members highlighted was in relation to rural development and the development of women. It was explained that the Committee is very passionate about those issues and that is why much emphasis is placed on them. One of the Members made a request to Boxing SA to aid a boxing trainer in the Northern Cape with resources.

After the discussion, the Members moved to the adoption of the meeting minutes of 13 October 2020 and 20 October 2020. There was a sense of irritation from the Members as they noted that South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee had not given the Portfolio Committee the report it requested. The Portfolio Committee Chairperson said that the Committee would not be moving agendas to accommodate them.

The minutes for the two meetings were adopted.

Meeting report

Chairperson’s Opening Remarks

The Chairperson opened the virtual meeting by welcoming all those present in the meeting, the Members, the delegation from Boxing South Africa as well as the Minister, Mr Nathi Mthethwa, and his accompaniment.

She then asked for the adoption of the agenda.

Mr M Seabi (ANC) moved for the adoption and Ms V Van Dyk (DA) seconded the motion.

The Chairperson then asked if there were any apologies.

The Committee Secretary indicated that there was an apology from the Deputy Minister for her absence due to bereavement. Mr T Mhlongo (DA) asked that he be excused from the meeting at around 11 o’ clock.

The Chairperson gave the Chairperson of the Boxing South Africa (BSA) board, Dr Malefatsane Ngatane, the platform to introduce his delegation.

Dr Ngatane introduced the BSA Board members that were present from BSA: Mr Khulile Radu and Mr Gilberto Martins. He gave apologies for two other board members, Mr Luthando Jack and Ms Zandile Kabini. He also introduced the acting CEO, Ms Cindy Nkomo, and the CFO, Mr Thabang Moses. After the introduction, he said that the meeting was probably the last meeting they would be attending as the Board because their term of office was ending. The Minister was busy with processes of forming the next Board for BSA. He also said that there was a sudden resignation of the CEO as he moved to the Transport Department. They had to replace him quickly with Ms Cindy Nkomo, who was previously the COO, and thus there was no break in the continuity of the organisation. Dr Ngatane expressed that he was proud that BSA received an unqualified audit report from the Auditor-General.

Briefing by Boxing South Africa

Ms Cindy Nkomo gave the presentation. She began by giving the overview found in the presentation slides three to thirteen.

Pertaining to promoting and marketing the activities of the BSA, they are looking at getting a person who would be responsible for the marketing of professional boxing; and also work with the stakeholders such as broadcasters and sponsors to ensure that they get the boxing brand out to the public.

On developing and maintaining stakeholder relations in order to drive development of the sport, she said that they align themselves with the requirements of the Act and the regulations. They therefore have a relationship with the South African Institute for Drug-Free Sport. They also have a relationship with broadcasters to make boxing available to the public. One of the relationships they are working on is with the South African National Boxing Organisation (SANABO), where there has been engagements to align their activities to those of the BSA’s. At this point in time, they have had engagements with SANABO to assist them with housing them at the BSA premises. As they wrap up the year they are working on a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) so that they are all in agreement on what needs to be delivered.

A total of 736 licences (slide seven & eight) have been approved – which is significantly low from the previous years’ numbers. This is due to the pandemic. For boxing, being a contact sport, licensees have been reluctant to take up licences during this period as they are not sure if they will be able to participate. While the entity does not have provincial offices, they do have representatives in the provinces whose names are shown in slide seven.

The number of tournaments in the closing financial year 2019/2020 was low due to the pandemic and lockdown. However, she noted that it would have still been low regardless of the lockdown because due to the strengthening and implementation of good governance by BSA, some promoters found it a little hard to stay in the sport of boxing. The BSA did this in order to ensure protection for boxers. For instance, one of the requirements before a tournament is a payment of a 10% deposit so that should the tournament be cancelled for any reason, a boxer can be compensated.

Five-Year Strategic Plan

The BSA has three programmes that they have developed their five-year out comes on. These are: governance and administration, boxing development and boxing promotion. These were informed by the mandates in the Act, the boxing indaba of 2013 as well as the current world status in relation to boxing.

Concerning the boxing development programme, specifically in the area of health and safety measures, BSA has looked into how to assist the promoters in delivering the tournament. Internally, the BSA has a medical committee that is headed by Dr Selepe with the support of various medical practitioners in various provinces; with expertise in boxer related injuries. They have continued to build on this medical committee to ensure that they produce a framework that will assist BSA to remain compliant with world standards.

In relation to the amended and updated boxing regulations, the inputs that they have received include some key issues that were brought up by licensees. These are:

1. The issue of licensees not being able to hold dual licences. BSA is looking into whether it would be feasible for some boxers to hold promotion licences such as the case internationally.

2. The issue of a three fight rule, where a boxer needs to have fought their last three consecutive fights in the same weight division. This demotivates boxers to challenge in other weight divisions.

The implementation of boxing flagship programmes talks to the women in boxing. This would look to how they can strengthen this and not only promote women in the month of women, in August. 

Annual Performance Plan

The entity has had to make amendments due to the effects of lockdown. These amendments were made on the boxing development as it is a programme the talks to directly delivering of tournaments. A major shift will be seen in the number of tournaments sanctioned. There are, however, tournaments that are being held, although they may not even get to 10 tournaments.

The revising of targets is also linked to the revision of the budget.

[See presentation document for more details]

Current Status of Boxing and Covid-19 Impact

Having no tournaments up to October, with only two tournaments held, there has been a huge financial impact on their licences, especially the boxers. Some of the boxers have received the funds from the Relief Fund. Where possible, BSA had assisted their dream owners, where the boxers train, by supplying them with PPE equipment.

The entity has had to prioritise the budget to make sure that they prioritise it to areas that they could be of assistance. They have partnered with Ampath Laboratories for the testing of boxers when they engage in tournaments.

Minister’s remarks

The Minister of Sports, Art and Culture, Mr Nathi Mthethwa, appreciated the opportunity to address the Committee. He then said that he had engagements with boxing South Africa twice; in order to emphasise that boxing is an important sport in South Africa where it was needed that they do everything to bring it back to its glory days. Boxing can play a key role in many aspects of discipline amongst young people, but also when they get more female participation.

They have noted that over a period of time there had been turbulences within Boxing South Africa. However, in the last two terms the entity has seen stability and wants to maintain and keep that stability so that boxing thrives.

He said that the issue that BSA emphasised to the Department is that they need to push for the amendments to be implemented as soon as possible. The Department believes that the increment on the allocation and budget of boxing is going to assist boxing to achieve some of its targets. The Department, along with the entity, are resolved that they want to see boxing getting back to the centre stage of sports in South Africa, also ensuring that there is focus on women’s development.

He said that it would be of interest to everyone that in the townships, suburbs and villages they reproduce the yesteryear heroes.

The process of nomination for the Board is underway with the aim that on the first week of December they should be able to appoint the new Board and on the second week induct them.

Discussion

Mr W Faber (DA) asked about the safety of the boxers as they compete in the context of Covid-19. He also asked the board and Minister if there were specific measures taken to see to the safety of boxers with boxing being a contact sport.

Mr Mhlongo asked the CEO of Boxing SA what his opinion was on the perception that boxing in South Africa is down but not out. He remarked that the last time BSA represented South Africa was in the 2016 Olympics and thus wanted to know what the board is doing about it. Is the relationship between BSA and SANABO stable? What is the outcome of their relationship with SANABO?

With regards to the unhappiness of the licensees, as they will be marching on the fourth of November, he asked if the board had engaged with them. What was the outcome of the board’s engagements with the stakeholders sectors? 

Regarding the Relief Fund, how many boxers received the Relief Fund? Where has the entity distributed the Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and at what cost?

Mr Mhlongo also asked what the actual reason was for the resignation of BSA’s CEO. The board was asked what the legacy they were leaving behind within the boxing arena in South Africa was.

The Chairperson remarked that the Board had said that there was an interim structure of SANABO; she stressed that they should have a fully-fledged structure. Referencing the statements made about the developments of a Memorandum of Understanding, she expressed that they should be over the stage as they know the problems of SANABO. She was happy that the Members have an exemplary case of the Eastern Cape, where they found two sides in dispute, during an oversight visit. Boxers and SANABO had been struggling in between. The intervention made by the Department and BSA had made the Eastern Cape an exemplary case. She highlighted that her main concerns were about SANABO as it was seemingly not moving forward.

Secondly, she stated that since joining the Committee she had thought that by this time there would be better information about the licences. She cannot say that the entity cannot achieve as they had achieved a lot, with BSA previously not having had offices and them being a “step child” of the Department. However, there has been progress. She said to the Minister that the incoming Board must look at some of the issues that have been left behind.

The Minister responded as he was set to leave the meeting. He emphasised that health protocols should continue to be observed with regards to Covid-19 in order to be able to thwart any possibility of the second wave.

With regards to boxing, he explained that the National Institute of Communicable Diseases, together with the Department of Health and the Department of Sports, Arts and Culture, go through a vigorous process to granting permission to go ahead for any sport, including contact sport. So the measures and plan, from boxing, were very comprehensive in order to mitigate any possibility of dangers.

Ms V Malomane (ANC) addressed the issue of women participating in boxing. She stated that BSA need to prioritise women, highlighting that there is only one woman in the training list. She asked for a report for the infrastructure in BSA and asked what the infrastructure challenges were that BSA was facing.

Concerning communication and marketing, she highlighted the matter of the SABC and SuperSport televising boxing events; what has the Board done in that regard? What is the way forward as they engage with the media houses? Are there outcomes from the engagements with the media houses that would allow for boxing to be televised in the afternoon instead of its current time, at night? She also asked about sponsorship.

Responses

Dr Ngatane said that the previous BSA CEO, Mr Lejaka, got an opportunity at the Department of Transport which would see him move up in terms of his career. There was no acrimony between the Board and the previous CEO; his departure was solely a career move.

Concerning SANABO, he responded that historically, amateurs were not supposed to have a relationship with the professionals because there was a ruling by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) that amateurs should not get involved with professionals. In as much as BSA has in its Act that the entity should react to that ruling, they have had several meetings with SANABO to no avail as they were not prepared to talk due to the AIBA rules. In the last three years or so, amateur boxing has changed into what is called open boxing. Within open boxing they have also engaged amongst themselves. After that change, the amateur bodies are now engaging with BSA without fearing that they will be cut off from participating in the Olympics. BSA’s reasoning for housing SANABO makes more sense as they are a cradle for professional boxing. Dr Ngatane said that the entity is dealing with an interim structure of SANABO as BSA is not responsible for the issue with SANABO. An interim committee was set up to run SANABO. The current Board did not want to leave a vacuum so they started an interim committee so that even the new structure of SANABO that will be coming through can find that the road paved and everything going forward. They have had some MoUs before but now that SANABO is willing to engage professional boxing  and are willing for BSA to help them, BSA will be able to participate more. He said that it will also address the issue of the BSA getting involved in the discussion of the formation and selection of boxers who are going for the Olympics.

It should be noted that if boxers in the amateurs do not get opportunities within the amateurs, their best avenue is to go into professionals. He stated that they are at the stage where they are now able to work together as Boxing in South Africa with amateurs and professionals working together to produce better representation for the country.

Regarding the safety of the boxers, Dr Ngatane said that the BSA set up a programme as request to the Ministry to allow Boxing to continue. He highlighted that they have already had two successful tournaments and they were having one on the day of this meeting. Outlining the programme, he said that promoters apply for the tournament and the boxers who are in the bill are tested fourteen days before and then later, on the last week of the tournament, they are tested again. When they have tested negative, they are housed in a bubble where none of them leave the bubble until the tournament. The only time they are allowed to leave the bubble is after the tournament. The Board members are also tested before going to the tournament.

He said that BSA has improved from being housed in the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture to now ranging on their own. In January they were on the lookout for premises where they would be buying as BSA in order to house the museum and all the paraphernalia of boxing. However, they were disrupted by the pandemic. He stated that they are still going forward with looking for these premises where BSA will have its own home instead of renting.  As per the Act, it is an issue that has to be discussed with the Minister of Sports who will give guidance on the issue. BSA, having its own home, will also give SANABO to have a home there so that boxing in South Africa can be housed under one roof.

In relation to the infrastructure question, he expressed that he was not sure what was meant by the infrastructure challenges. However, he said that the only challenges they have are with regards to housing the provincial structures.  Historically, the BSA Act was supposed to address both the national and the provincial matters. However, for whatever reason, the BSA Act is only addressing the national activity. They then had to make a plan to have BSA representatives in the provinces. One of the requests that the Board will probably have is where the Ministry will have to help them, for the different MECs to be able to be able to accommodate the BSA. However, this is something that is still under discussion. Infrastructure for activities such as stadiums and the likes are things out of the BSA’s jurisdiction. They do, however, assist where it is necessary.

Ms Cindy Nkomo, CEO of Boxing SA, stated that the issue of the presence of boxing is impacted highly because even though there are tournaments every month and in some provinces there are even back-to-back tournaments on Sundays. If it is not seen it almost seems to not be in existence.

Referring to the presentation, she highlighted the issue of broadcasting and stated that because of this issue, people are not likely to know about the sport. There is high activity in the sport. Their biggest problem is that they are unable to showcase this activity. Boxing in the country is alive and there is commitment from boxers and sport lovers in general.

Concerning the unhappiness of licensees, she said that the entity did a roadshow in 2018 with the SABC. The roadshow was to specifically speak on how to bring back boxing into the homes of consumers. It was sort of a tender process where in each province there was a selection of a promoter that would host a tournament – where some even had themes such as a theme around youth month in June. Unfortunately, in the middle of the process, the SABC made it known that it does not have the funds to sustain the programme and thus the last tournament was in October 2018, in the Free State. There was communication with the licensees about the challenges that were in place. However, BSA continued engaging the SABC even on canned programmes, taking into consideration that live tournament impose their own challenges and requirements. The SABC however, were unable to continue with the arrangement. Recently, with the appointment of the new General Manager, the BSA reached out to activate the discussions and given the plans that the General Manager had in place, the BSA’s goal was to first make sure that the discussions do not happen without the BSA being consulted. They have shared the information with the licensees. She said that the communication of the march came at time when they had not even gotten the first tournament underway due to the lockdown. The march, she said, was mainly driven by the announcement of the Bundesliga being on SABC, as licensees questioned why there was no boxing being broadcasted despite the fact that there is boxing in the country. Unfortunately, the licensees did not engage BSA – not even to give them an opportunity to update them on their last statement on where they are with BSA. Before the statement was issued, BSA made various attempts to contact the organiser of the march but to no avail. She said that it was important to speak to the licensees and that they are not stopping any of them in exercising their democratic right to have their voices heard. However, they thought that they would be engaged so that that they would be aware of any eventualities. They have made it clear to the licensees that they will continue working with SABC.

Ms Nkomo assured the Members that they were prioritising women, even going to the lengths of putting through a proposal to the Minister on how else he can assist them. They are budgeting on an annual basis for the driving of the women in boxing programme and they have developed a plan on how they are going to roll=out the programme. They want to make sure that they do not only focus on women in August, women’s month, but to also ensure that they are participating throughout the year. They are also seeing on how they can grow the other categories such as the promoters, trainers and managers. They will also make sure that through the Women in Boxing Committee they will put in supportive means to ensure that the number grows and that there is value in women participation.

Concerning the communication and marketing strategy, the CEO indicated that BSA has put in a request relating to the time that boxing is broadcasted as currently, the only boxing programme that is shown is shown late at night, at 10 o’ clock on Fridays. There are challenges regarding the moving of the timeslot, as there are other programmes that command more viewership during the earlier times. There is a commitment from the SABC that they will look at the TKO programme timeslot. She stated that they are also looking at other ways of consuming boxing such as using online platforms to get boxing out to the public. However, they do acknowledge that the cost of data is high. They have started contacting various networks though the response rate is slow, but there is seed planted. Currently, they have three online platforms that would be able to broadcast; two of those are in Gauteng and one in the Eastern Cape. SuperSport had mentioned the challenges they have with putting out boxing to the public but they are looking at affording more slots to boxing over and above what is currently available. The proposal is going into the SuperSport’s next platform in terms of their planning.

Although they licence their trainers, there is no clear guidelines in terms of how they accredit the trainers. This is something that needs to be prioritised as it is a risk area but it also talks to how they can have trainers to impart knowledge to those coming in. They had started getting experienced trainers to do certain activities for all other trainers that are coming in. She said that on their presentation she will make sure that they cover what they have done in this regard.

The Chief Financial Officer, Mr Thabang Moses, said that they initially assisted their licensees who had applied for the National Relief Fund which came out in lockdown level five. Subsequently, there were other provincial relief funds; which they currently do not have information of the distribution. He then requested the indulgence of the committee to provide the actual statistics of the number of licensees who had received the Relief fund and the actual amount.

With regards to the PPE, the BSA did an audit of the gyms that were being used for professional boxers’ training. Some of these gyms, throughout the country, had both amateurs and professionals training. They have produced some sort of a checklist with the Department, when they were requesting the Department to allow professional boxers to train. These gyms have been requested to comply with stringent lockdown rules and have been provided with sanitisers, surface disinfectants, masks, registers and thermometers. He, once again, requested the indulgence of the Committee to provide the actual statistics of the geographical distribution. The PPE has been audited and they have spent about R216 000.

Mr Seabi asked for a helicopter view of the strategy for the development of boxing, particularly in rural areas. Pertaining to their finances, he asked if they had other sources of income or if they only relied on support from the Department. He remarked that he did not understand what the problem is with the broadcasters – why the boxing matches are not being broadcasted, therefore asking for clarification on the issue. He said that he was generally happy with the report.

Mr Mhlongo said that he was not happy with the response; with no figures on the report; he asked how they were meant to do monitoring and evaluation, especially with PPE. The Members were given an audited figure but not the number of PPE issued; this was a contradiction. He said that the Committee always sees the board chairperson. Are there any other board members that are going out? He asked to see them in order to know them.

In response to the follow-up questions, Dr Ngatane said that with regards to development in the rural areas, the starting of boxing in the area is under SANABO while the BSA is mandated to deal with professional boxing. The development that they do in the different areas is the training of professionals, officials, judges and referees. In terms of the boxers themselves, that is in the ambit of SANABO.

Pertaining to the finances, he referenced the pie chart in the presentation and stated that the bulk of the finance comes from government. Boxing, unlike any other sport, is run by BSA but the events are run by the promoters who are then in charge of getting sponsors. Each promotion and each activity is an individual business entity.

In terms of the broadcaster, he said that the initial problem started after 2010 as there were no funds. When they set up a boxing match the issue is that the promoter sends the rights for the fight to the broadcaster and the broadcaster then pays them the amount they had agreed upon. They were informed that there were no funds for live boxing. As a result, the SABC was now doing canned tournaments where they would come to the tournament with minimal equipment, record and then broadcast it at a later stage. They had engaged with SuperSport. However, as they had agreements with certain promotions; this has been an ongoing point of contention to open for other promoters. SuperSport has also opened up for many black promoters such as in the Eastern Cape and Gauteng. So, at this point in time SuperSport is opening up. He also said that they tried with eTV some four or five years ago but there was no response to this issue.

With regards to SABC, the problem they faced was that someone in the SABC decided to take away the six o’ clock slot on Sunday. The reason given was that the extra time given to soccer, as soccer was broadcasted before the boxing, encroached on the time for boxing. He said that the worst change was to move it to ten o’ clock, which has now become an ongoing fight they have with the SABC.

Pertaining to the issue of the outgoing Board’s legacy, he said that he could not be able to say what legacy they have left behind but he believes that the public would be able to judge them.

Mr Khulile Radu (BSA Board member) said that boxing has an urban bias. In the South African context, most of the boxers come from the rural areas; there is a need for synergy with SANABO to see to it that the feeder system form the rural areas to the urban areas is kept on a leash. The boxers from the Eastern Cape come from the surrounding areas such as Mthatha and those in Gauteng mostly come from Limpopo. So for BSA it is important that there is balance between rural development and what is happening in the cities. He said that he knows of ring officials, trainers and referees from Gauteng who would travel to the Free State in order to set up tournaments, while there they train the locals to run the tournaments on their own. This is also done in the Eastern Cape.

Mr Faber (DA) raised an issue pertaining to rural development. He said that in the town of Warrenton/ Magareng (Northern Cape) there is a coach and boxer by the name of Gert Mpolokeng who trains youth and other boxers in Magareng out of his own pocket. Mr Faber also highlighted that Mr Mpolokeng was also involved with BSA. However, as an individual without a job it is difficult for Mr Mpolokeng. Mr Faber asked how he can be helped with resources to develop boxing in that area as he currently has no financial backing.

Dr Ngatane responded to Mr Faber’s statement and request, saying that he is happy that their discussions with SANABO will be able to give people like Mr Gert Mpolokeng assistance by giving the equipment and things like that, as they will not be infringing on the toes of the amateur boxers. Even though their time in the Board is over, their hearts are still in boxing and they will still be able to help where it is necessary.

The Chairperson said that she expects that the audited statements with the figures pertaining to the PPE will be sent to the Secretary.

Mr Gilberto Martins (BSA Board member) said that in the past years the Board tried to move boxing into a new era. His roles when he joined the Board were clearly defined. One of the problems was on debt collection – a strategic issue that need to be dealt with. The reasons for why the entity was in debt were due to the sanctions, the sanctioning system and the payment of sanctions – for which he developed a model. He developed a new sanctioning system where an upfront payment, which is a fixed fee, is made regardless of what is made at the end of an event. They also cleaned up the debtors list. He had a meeting with all promoters who were in debt to the organisation. He stated that the incoming Board needs to make sure that the sanctioning model and the payment of sanctioning fees needs to be reviewed as well as registration and regulations. This is so that by the time a boxing tournament starts all the sanction fees are paid – not as sanction fees but upfront fees; and at the end of the tournament there cannot be excuses about why fees cannot be paid.

He also said that boxing has a history. Therefore, he developed the idea of a Hall of Fame for boxing aligned to a tourist attraction such as Constitution Hill. He closed by saying that boxing can return to its former glory.

Mr Luthando Jack (BSA Board member) said that the audit outcomes are instructive in terms of demonstrating the Committee’s contribution in providing a robust oversight over the Board and the Association. In the Board, his role was in the finance, human resources and IT, but generally it was in contributing to the fraternity of boxing and really understanding of the world of sport. As this Board, albeit there were challenges, they were able to put boxing on a new development path but the path needs to be sustained and consolidated.

Mr Mhlongo remarked that he had been reflecting on the PPE and the issue of corruption pertaining to it. He noted that the Chairperson had said that BSA would give them the reports on the audit and figures, but he asked how they could give the costs without knowing the figures of the gyms that were given PPE.

He also spoke on the Board members, saying that he wanted to see them as he had not seen them before. He wished them well as they were leaving the Board. He said that the Board giving the same presentation is uncalled for because he does not see any outcomes. He asked what the Board’s statement was on the SABC matter and how far they were with addressing it; what were they doing as the middle man? What plan do they have regarding promoters as they have presented the same plan that has been seen before? Lastly, what are the resolution for the dispute among the licensees?

Mr Mhlongo then asked to be excused.

The Chairperson thanked the outgoing BSA Board members. She said that when the Committee went on oversight in the Eastern Cape, the promoters were fighting amongst themselves. However, the Department and the outgoing Board managed to unite them. She commended the Board for ending its term without one of its members having any legal issues; the Board was exemplary. She appreciated it for listening and working well together with the Committee. She wished the Board members well for their future endeavours. She emphasised that the Committee was very passionate about sports, rural development and women development; that is why Members zero-in on matters.

She also mentioned that while they have been honest about boxing having an urban bias, she hopes to hear in the future that the BSA was present in the rural areas.

Dr Ngatane thanked the Committee Chairperson and corrected the statement that the Board members were present in the times that he was not present for any Committee meetings. He said that he was fortunate to lead a group of professional, dedicated people who knew what they were doing in the Board and reported back on the Committee meetings. He said that the legacy that they leave behind is stability in the Board.

The Chairperson released the BSA delegation and proceeded to resume with the adoption of the minutes.

The Chairperson began by welcoming Mr Zondi to the Committee. He was replacing Dr Nkabane from the Committee. She said that the Members had been longing to meet him officially.

Consideration and adoption of meeting minutes

The Chairperson then went on to the meeting minutes of the meeting on 13 October 2020, which was about a briefing by Cricket South Africa on the outstanding Independent of Forensic Investigation Report intervention by SASCOC and other pertaining matters. She alerted the Members that the Committee had not received the information that it had asked from SASCOC; she does not think that SASCOC is prepared. She said that the SASCOC issue is getting out of hand and if they think they will be shifting all the Committee’s agendas, the Committee will end up being redundant like SASCOC. Out of the meeting, SASCOC’s attitude had shown that they were not going to give them the report. She then asked for any of the Members that were in that meeting to move for the adoption of the minutes of the meeting, if there are no comments or proposals.

Mr Faber moved for the adoption of the minutes, which was then seconded by Ms Malomane.

The minutes from 13 October 2020 were adopted.

The Chairperson then went on to the adoption of the meeting minutes for the 20th of October 2020, which was about a briefing by SASCOC on the progress made in preparation for the Annual General Meeting; the update on the application process of Ms Hendriks; the resolution taken by the Board on Cricket South Africa. She asked for any of the Members to adopt the meeting minutes if there were no comments or proposals.

Ms R Adams (ANC) moved for the adoption of the minutes, seconded by Mr Faber.

The minutes from 20 October 2020 were adopted.

Closing remarks from the Chairperson

The Chairperson concluded the meeting by reiterating that there will be no shifting of agendas of the Committee and that they should note that they did not receive what they had asked for from SASCOC. She said that as some political parties are not present, they will discuss again when they are all together.

The meeting was adjourned.

 

 

Download as PDF

You can download this page as a PDF using your browser's print functionality. Click on the "Print" button below and select the "PDF" option under destinations/printers.

See detailed instructions for your browser here.

Share this page: