Nomination of Western Cape Commissioner for ChildrenCall for comments opened 12 September 2019 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 30 September 2019)
1. Nominations are hereby invited for the appointment of the Western Cape Commissioner for Children in terms of section 2(2)(a) of the Western Cape Commissioner for Children Act, 2019 (Act 2 of 2019) (“the Act”).
2. The Commissioner is empowered in terms of the Act to monitor, investigate, research, educate the public about, lobby for and advise on matters pertaining to children in the Western Cape. Furthermore, the Commissioner must assist the Western Cape Government in protecting and promoting the interests of children in the province, in particular as regards health services, education, welfare services, recreation and amenities, and sport. The Commissioner must also report to the Western Cape Provincial Parliament on measures taken by the Western Cape Government to protect and promote the interests of children in the province.
3. A copy of the Act, which contains details of the functions of the Commissioner for Children, is available on the website of the Western Cape Provincial Parliament at www.wcpp.gov.za.
4. Nominees must: (a) be a South African citizen who is a t and proper person; and (b) have proven specialised knowledge of, or relevant professional experience or an academic record in, public policy, human rights or issues affecting children.
5. A person may not be nominated for or appointed as the Commissioner if he or she (a) has at any time been convicted of (i) an offence relating to dishonesty or violence; or (ii) a sexual offence as defined in section 1 of the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences and Related Matters) Amendment Act, 2007 (Act 32 of 2007); (b) is unsuitable to work with children as contemplated in the Children's Act, 2005 (Act 38 of 2005); or (c) is an unrehabilitated insolvent.
6. Knowledge of legislation pertaining to children will be an advantage.
7. The recommended nominee must confirm acceptance of the nomination in writing.
8. The Commissioner is appointed for a period of five years, which term is renewable once.
9. The recommended nominee will be subject to a security clearance and suitability checks that include the checking of qualifications, previous employment and appointments, criminal records, credit verification and references.
10. The successful nominee will receive a letter of appointment listing the terms and conditions of appointment.
11. The appointment is a statutory appointment in terms of the Act and no relationship of employment will be created.
12. Remuneration will be R1 521 591 per annum which is determined by the Premier with the concurrence of the provincial Minister responsible for finance.
13. The location of the appointment is in the Cape metropolitan area, Republic of South Africa.
14. Applications submitted must include a letter of application and a full curriculum vitae, which includes at least three contactable references.
Nominations must be addressed to Ms N Jamce at email@example.com by no later than Monday, 30 September 2019
Enquiries can be directed to Ms N Jamce on tel on (021) 487 1658
ISSUED BY MR G BOSMAN (MPP), CHAIRPERSON: STANDING COMMITTEE ON SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT