Children’s Amendment Draft Bill, 2018Call for comments opened 31 October 2018 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 29 November 2018)
The Department of Social Development invites you to submit written comments on Children’s Amendment Bill, 2018.
The Bill seeks to amend the Children’s Act, 2005 so as to :
▪ further promote and protect the child’s right to physical and psychological integrity;
▪ further regulate the position of unmarried fathers;
▪ extend the children’s court jurisdiction to hear applications for guardianship;
▪ provide for matters relating to the provision and funding of early childhood development programmes;
▪ strengthen provisions relating to the National Child Protection Register;
▪ regulate the care of abandoned or orphaned children by family members;
▪ further regulate the initiation of care and protection proceedings;
▪ further regulate the medical testing of children for foster care and adoption purposes;
▪ clarify procedures for children in alternative care;
▪ further regulate matters relating to adoption and inter-country adoption;
▪ expedite the hearing of child abduction matters and to provide for legal representation of children;
▪ adjust the criteria relating to surrogate motherhood and to provide for related matters;
▪ align the Act with the Criminal Law (Sexual Offences and Related Matters) Amendment Act, 2007, and the Jurisdiction of Regional Courts Amendment Act, 2008;
▪ align the Act with court judgments;
▪ supplement provisions relating to children with disabilities;
▪ empower the Minister to make additional regulations;
▪ remove certain inconsistencies.
Comments can be emailed to Mr Luyanda Mtshotshisa at LuyandaMt@socdev.gov.za or Ms Matlhogonolo Sebopela MatlhogonoloS@dsd.gov.za by no later than Thursday, 29 November 2018.