Nominations: Appointment of ten attorneys and six advocates to the Legal Practice CouncilCall for comments opened 07 September 2018 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 14 September 2018)
The purpose of this communication is to explain the nomination procedure for election of legal practitioners for purposes of constituting the Council. By now attorneys and advocates would have received by email or fax the nomination form for attorneys or advocates and a notice by the Chairperson.
CALL FOR NOMINATONS
▪ Attorneys and advocates are invited to nominate practicing attorneys and advocates to stand for election.
▪ Nomination forms will be emailed to all attorneys on email and emailed or faxed to all advocates.
▪ A nomination will only be valid if done by way of the prescribed nomination form.
▪ Nomination is limited to one (1) candidate per form.
▪ Original signed nominations must be hand delivered, sent via courier or postnet to the Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA), 14 Park Road, Richmond, Johannesburg, 2092. Or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
▪ The nomination document must be signed by both nominators and the nominee.
▪ Practising Attorneys may be nominated by practising attorneys only.
▪ Practising Advocates may be nominated by practising advocates only.
▪ The ‘’ knowledge and experience in the matters set out in section 7(2)(e) of the legal Practice Act 2014.” As required on the nomination form – can be attached separately to the form but MUST not exceed 600 words
▪ The opening date for nominations is at midnight on Tuesday, 4 September 2018.
▪ The closing date for nominations is at midnight on Friday, 14 September 2018.
▪ No further nominations will be accepted after midnight on Friday, 14 September 2018.
▪ Any nomination which does not substantially comply with the regulations or which is not submitted within the prescribed time does not qualify to be submitted for voting purposes in terms of the regulations.
ELIGIBILITY TO STAND AS A CANDIDATE
▪ Kindly note that only eligible members can stand as candidates in this election.
▪ Only attorneys and advocates who are admitted to practise and who are enrolled on the Roll can be nominated for election.
▪ A nomination of an attorney for election to the Council must be made by any two (2) other practising attorneys in the manner prescribed by Regulation 2 (8) and (9). LPC Nomination Communication, 6 September 2018 Page 2 of 2
▪ A nomination of an advocate for election to the Council must be made by any two (2) other practising advocates in the manner prescribed by sub regulations (8) and (9).
▪ Each nominee signing the consent form therefore confirms his/her eligibility to stand for election.
Please return signed completed nomination forms to the National Forum c/o EISA, 14 Park Road, Richmond, 2092 by midnight 14 September 2018. It is preferred that forms are delivered by hand, or courier or via Postnet. Nomination forms can also be emailed to email@example.com
Enquiries can be directed to the EISA Chief Electoral Officer, Ms Crystal Africa on the toll free number 0800 114 373 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please find here: Nomination form for attorneys
Nomination form for advocates