Hydrographic Bill [B17-2018]Call for comments opened 31 August 2018 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 07 September 2018)
The Portfolio Committee on Defence and Military Veterans invites you to submit written comments on the Hydrographic Bill [B17-2018].
The Bill seeks to:
▪ provide for the establishment of the Hydrographic office, including its function and management;
▪ provide for the appointment and powers of the Hydrographer and staff of the Hydrographic office;
▪ regulate the submission of hydrographic date;
▪ regulate the manner in which hydrographic survey marks and copy rights may be protected;
▪ provide for the limitation of civil liability;
▪ provide for the manner in which the income of the Hydrographic office must deal with;
▪ provide for the cooperation agreement between departments for the administration of joint interest that may arise from the execution of the Act.
Comments can be emailed to Ms Mandy Balie at email@example.com by no later than 12h00 on Friday, 7 September 2018.
The Committee reserve the right to determine which organisations/individuals to invite for oral presentations.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms Mandy Balie on tel (021) 403 3673 or cell 083 709 8431
Issued by Mr MS Motimele, MP, Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee Defence and Military Veterans
The Bill emanates from the need to recognise and grant legislative status to the office of the Hydrographer which has been in existence within the South African Navy since 21 July 1954. 1.2 The Republic of South Africa, as a member of the International Maritime Organisation and International Hydrographic Organisation, is the signatory to International Conventions relating to the monitoring of maritime safety. The International Maritime Organisation and International Hydrographic Organisations are responsible for the monitoring and effective regulation of the safe navigation of the ships and other modes of transport that are moving around the oceans or waterways of the member states.