Railway Safety Draft Bill [X-2018]Call for comments opened 12 March 2018 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 15 April 2018)
The Department of Transport invites you to comment on the Draft Railway Safety Bill on or before 15th April 2018. The Railway Safety Bill is aligned to the Draft White Paper on National Rail Policy and Government objective to move passengers and freight from road -to- rail. Once promulgated and implemented, the Act will ensure improvement in general safety within the railway environment thereby making rail an attractive mode of transport and that will contribute economy of the country.
The Bill seeks to;
▪ provide for the regulation of railway safety in the Republic;
▪ provide for the continued existence of the Railway Safety Regulator;
▪ provide for the board and governance structures of the Regulator;
▪ provide for railway safety permits;
▪ provide for railway safety critical grades and safety management systems;
▪ provide for a national railway safety information and monitoring system;
▪ provide for a legal framework to enforce compliance with the Act and to deal with railway occurrences;
▪ provide for an appeal mechanism;
▪ provide for transitional arrangements and the repeal of the National Railway Safety Regulator Act, 2002;
Comments cab emailed to Mr Rhulani Shivambu at email@example.com by no later than Sunday, 15 April 2018.
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Rhulani Shivambu on tel 012 309 3872