Protection, Promotion, Development and Management of Indigenous Knowledge Systems Bill [B6-2016]Call for comments opened 28 November 2016 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 15 December 2016)
The Portfolio Committee on Science and Technology invites you to submit written comments on the Protection, Promotion, Development and Management of Indigenous Knowledge Systems Bill [B6-2016]
The Bill seeks to:
▪ provide for the protection, promotion, development and management of indigenous knowledge systems;
▪ provide for the establishment and functions of the National Indigenous Knowledge Systems Office;
▪ provide for the management of rights of indigenous knowledge holders; to provide for the establishment and functions of the Advisory Panel on indigenous knowledge systems;
▪ provide for access and conditions of access to knowledge of indigenous and local communities;
▪ provide for the registration, accreditation and certification of indigenous knowledge practitioners;
▪ provide for the facilitation and coordination of indigenous knowledge systems-based innovation;
Comments can be emailed to Ms. Shanaaz Isaacs at email@example.com by no later than Thursday, 15 December 2016.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms. Shanaaz Isaacs on tel (021) 403 3763 or cell 083 709 8536
Issued by Ms L Maseko, MP, Acting Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Science nd Technology.
A National Indigenous Knowledge Systems Policy was approved by Cabinet in 2004. The Indigenous Knowledge Systems Policy contains overarching principles for the recognition, affirmation, development and promotion of indigenous knowledge. It also provided for the establishment of the National Indigenous Knowledge Systems Office to implement the Indigenous Knowledge Systems Policy and to coordinate Indigenous Knowledge Systems activities across the country. The Indigenous Knowledge Systems Policy also proposed the development of alternate legislation for the effective protection, promotion, development and management of Indigenous Knowledge Systems in the Republic. During 2013 the Department of Science and Technology (the Department) developed a draft Bill for the protection, promotion, development and management of Indigenous