Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill - draftCall for comments opened 25 October 2016 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 31 January 2017)
The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development invites you to comment on the draft Prevention and Combating of Hate Crimes and Hate Speech Bill, which aims to-
▪ give effect to the Republic’s obligations in terms of the Constitution and international human rights instruments concerning racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance in accordance with international law obligations;
▪ provide for the offence of hate crimes and the offence of hate speech and the prosecution of persons who commit those crimes;
▪ provide for appropriate sentences that may be imposed on persons who commit hate crime and hate speech offences;
▪ provide for the prevention of hate crimes and hate speech;
▪ provide for the reporting on the implementation, application and administration of this Act;
▪ amend certain Acts of Parliament consequentially.
Comments can be emailed to T Ross at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Tuesday, 31 January 2017.
Enquiries can be directed to T Ross on tel (012) 406 4759