Refugees Amendment Bill [B12-2016]Call for comments opened 05 October 2016 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 28 October 2016)
The Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs invites you to submit written comments on the Refugees Amendment Bill [B12-2016] as tabled by the Department.
The purpose of the Bill is to:
• insert, delete and amend certain definitions;
• make further provisions relating to disqualification from refugee status and losing such status;
• provide for integrity measures to combat fraud and corruption among staff members at Refugee Reception Offices, at the Standing Committee and in the Refugee Appeals Authority;
• omit provisions referring to the Status Determination Committee;
• substitute certain provisions relating to the Refugee Appeals Authority (RAA);
• provide for the re-establishment of the Standing Committee for Refugee Affairs (SCRA) and to confer additional powers on the SCRA;
• confer additional powers on the Director-General;
• clarify the procedure relating to conditions attached to asylum seeker visas and abandonment of applications;
• revise provisions relating to the review of asylum applications;
• provide for the withdrawal of refugee status in respect of categories of refugees;
• provide for additional offences and penalties.
Comments can be emailed to Mr Eddy Mathonsi at email@example.com by no later than Friday, 28 October 2016 at 16:00.
In addition to written submissions, kindly indicate if you would like to make oral submissions
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Eddy Mathonsi on tel (021) 403 3826 or cell: 083 709 8523
Issued by Mr BL Mashile, MP, Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs