Call for Nominations/Applications: Public ProtectorCall for comments opened 02 June 2016 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 24 June 2016)
The Ad Hoc Committee to Nominate a Person for Appointment as Public Protector invites members of the public and organisations to nominate suitable candidates for appointment as the Public Protector. Applications will also be accepted. Applications and nominations will be subjected to public screening.
The Public Protector is a state institution supporting constitutional democracy, established in terms of Chapter 9 of the Constitution, 1996. The Public Protector has the power to investigate any conduct in state affairs, or in the public administration in any sphere of government, that is alleged or suspected to be improper or to result in any impropriety or prejudice; to report on that conduct; and take appropriate remedial action. The Public Protector has the additional powers and functions prescribed by national legislation.
The Public Protector is appointed by the President on the recommendation of the National Assembly for a non-renewable term of seven years. The person recommended for appointment as Public Protector must be a South African citizen, who is a fit and proper person to hold such office, and who -
- is a Judge of a High Court; or
- is admitted as an advocate or an attorney and has, for a cumulative period of at least 10 years after having been so admitted, practised as an advocate or an attorney; or
- is qualified to be admitted as an advocate or an attorney and has, for a cumulative period of at least 10 years after having so qualified, lectured in law at a university; or
- has specialised knowledge of or experience, for a cumulative period of at least 10 years, in the administration of justice, public administration or public finance; or
- has, for a cumulative period of at least 10 years, been a member of Parliament; or
- has acquired any combination of experience mentioned in paragraphs (b) to (e), for a cumulative period of at least 10 years.
Nominations must contain the full name, address/email address and contact details of the person or organisation making the nomination, a signed acceptance of the nomination by the nominee and a Curriculum Vitae (CV) providing the nominee’s:
- Full name, ID number and gender;
- Contact details, including physical address, telephone / cell phone number and email address;
- Relevant previous work experience (including relevant dates and organisations concerned); and
- Academic qualifications.
Nominations must addressed to Mr Vhonani Ramaano at email@example.com by no later than Friday, 24 June 2016 at 16:00.
Enquiries please contact Mr V Ramaano on tel: (021) 403 3820 or cell 083 709 8427
Issued by Dr MB Khoza, MP, Chairperson of the Ad Hoc Committee to Nominate a Person for Appointment as Public Protector.