Protection of Crucial Infrastructure Draft Bill [PMB4-2015]Call for comments opened 01 September 2015 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 12 October 2015)
In accordance with Rule 241(1)(b) of the Rules of the National Assembly, notice is given that:
Zakhele Njabulo Mbhele MP intends introducing a private member’s bill shortly in the National Assembly to repeal the National Key Points Act, 1980 (Act No 102 of 1980) and related legislation; provide for the establishment, composition, functions and duties, meetings, financing and reporting of the Critical Infrastructure Board; to provide for a register containing the areas declared as critical infrastructure.
The Bill and Memorandum are available here: draft Protection of Crucial Infrastructure Bill
The Bill seeks to:
• provide for the establishment, composition, functions and duties, meetings, financing and reporting of the Critical Infrastructure Board;
• provide for the suspension and removal of Members of the Board,
• provide for the determination and declaration of Critical Infrastructure; to ensure that security measures are implemented at Critical Infrastructure;
• provide for a Register containing the areas declared as Critical Infrastructure;
• set out the rights and duties of owners of Critical Infrastructure;
• provide for the limitation of the liability of the State;
• provide for parliamentary oversight over the Board;
• create offences and penalties; to provide for transitional provisions;
• repeal the National Key Points Act 102 of 1980 and related legislation.
Interested parties and institutions are invited to submit written representations on the draft bill.
Comments can be emailed to Mr G Mgidlana at email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Monday, 12 October 2015.