Performing Animals Protection Amendment Bill [B9-2015]; Plant Improvement Bill [B8-2015]; & Plant Breeders’ Rights Bill [B11-2015]Call for comments opened 30 April 2015 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 01 May 2015)
The Portfolio Committee on Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries invites you to submit written comments on the following Bills:
The Bill seeks to amend the Performing Animals Protection Act, 1935 (Act No. 24 of 1935), so as to:
▪ insert certain definitions; to provide for the designation of a National Licensing Officer;
▪ provide for a procedure for the application for a licence to exhibit, train or use of an animal for safeguarding;
▪ provide for the functions of a National Licensing Officer;
▪ provide for the issuance of licenses; to provide for an appeals process.
The Bill seeks to provide for the registration of certain types of business relating to plants and propagating material intended for cultivation and sale and the registration of premises on or from which that business is conducted:
▪ provide for quality standards for plants and propagating material intended for cultivation and sale and conditions of sale of plants and propagating material;
▪ provide a system for national listing of plant varieties;
▪ provide for the evaluation of plant varieties in order to ensure value if there is doubt in respect of the value for cultivation and use of plant varieties intended for cultivation and sale;
▪ provide for import and export control of plants and propagating material;
▪ provide a system for different types of schemes for plants and propagating material.
The Bill seeks to provide for a system whereunder plant breeders’ rights relating to varieties of certain kinds of plants may be granted; for the requirements that have to be complied with for the granting of such rights; for the scope and protection of such rights; for the granting of licenses in respect of the exercise of such rights.
Public hearings will be conducted at Parliament on Tuesday, 12 and Friday, 15 May 2015
Please note submissions and requests to make oral presentation must be received by no later than Wednesday, 06 May 2015
Comments can be emailed to Ms Albertina Kakaza at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Wednesday, 06 May 2015.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms Albertina Kakaza on tel (021) 403 3765 or cell 083 709 8391
Issued by: Ms Machwene Rosina Semenya, MP Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries.