National Environmental Management: Waste Amendment Bill, [B32-2013]Call for comments opened 01 November 2013 Share this page:
The Portfolio Committee on Water and Environmental Affairs invites you to comment on the National Environmental Management: Waste Amendment Bill, [B32-2013].
The objectives of the Bill is to amend the NEMWAA, in order to:
▪ Substitute certain definitions;
▪ Clarify the spheres of government required to compile an integrated waste management plan;
▪ Provide for the exclusion of the provincial Department responsible for waste management in the compilation of an industry waste management plan;
▪ Require the MEC responsible for waste management to act in concurrence with the Minister when requesting certain persons to compile and submit industry waste management plans;
▪ Provide the Minister with a discretionary power to establish a Waste Management Agency when necessary; and
▪ Provide for transitional arrangements regarding authorisation issued in terms of the Environment Conservation Act, 1998 (Act No. 73 of 1989).
Find attached document here: Final Press Statement
Public hearings are targeted for the first term of Parliament in 2014.
Comments can be emailed to Ms Tyhileka Madubela at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Tuesday, 10 December 2013.
Enquiries can be directed to Ms Tyhileka Madubela on tel (021) 403 3713 or cell 083 304 9586.
Issued by Adv. Johnny de Lange, M.P.: Chairperson: Portfolio Committee on Water and Environmental Affairs on 31 October 2013