Upstream Petroleum Resources Development BillCall for comments opened 24 June 2022 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 29 July 2022)
In line with Parliament’s core objective of facilitating public participation and involvement in legislative processes, the Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources and Energy invites you to submit written comments and indicate interests in making an oral submission on the Upstream Petroleum Resources Development Bill [13-2021].
The Bill seeks to:
▪ provide for orderly development of petroleum resources;
▪ provide for equitable access to, and sustainable development of, the nation’s petroleum resources;
▪ provide for active State and black persons’ participation in the development of the nation’s petroleum resources;
▪ provide for a petroleum right that integrates the right to explore and to produce;
▪ provide for the facilitation of acquisition of petroleum geo-technical data;
▪ provide for a controlled application system through licensing rounds;
▪ create an enabling environment for the acceleration of exploration and production of the nation’s petroleum resources;
▪ provide for third party access to upstream petroleum infrastructure; to provide for a petroleum right holder to sell a percentage of petroleum to the State for strategic stocks requirements;
▪ designate a state-owned company as an entity responsible for managing the State’s carried interest in petroleum rights;
▪ provide for the advancement of national developmental imperatives by the state-owned company through the development of petroleum resources;
▪ provide for the holder of a petroleum right to retain its empowerment status after the exit of black persons under circumscribed circumstances;
▪ provide for local content as a development strategy to enable skills development, local recruitment and national participation through supply of goods and services;
▪ designate the Petroleum Agency of South Africa as the regulatory authority for the upstream petroleum sector;
Comments can be emailed to Mr Arico Kotze at firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than 16h00 on Friday, 29 July 2022.
Please indicate your interest in making a verbal presentation to the Committee.
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Arico Kotze on tel (021) 403 3662 or cell 083 709 8470
Issued by Hon S. Luzipo, MP, Chairperson of the Portfolio Committee on Mineral Resources and Energy
Track the Bill here