Civil Aviation Amendment BillCall for comments opened 22 September 2021 Share this page:
Submissions must be received by no later than 02 November 2021
The Select Committee on Transport, Public Service and Administration, Public Works and Infrastructure invites you to submit written comments on the Civil Aviation Amendment Bill [B 44B - 2018].
Comments can be emailed to Mr Hlupheka Mtileni at email@example.com by no later than Tuesday, 2 November 2021.
The Bill seeks to amend the Civil Aviation Act, 2009, so as to:
• amend existing, and insert new, definitions;
• rectify references to certain Ministries and Government Departments; to amend Chapter 4 of the Act so as to make provision for the operational independence of aircraft accident and incident investigation;
• rectify the provision regarding the establishment of the South African Civil Aviation Authority;
• give the South African Civil Aviation Authority environmental protection oversight function;
• make provision for the Civil Aviation Authority as a preferential creditor in respect of any money, fees, charges or levies collected on its behalf;
• do away with the requirement for the development of a corporate governance plan;
• make provision for an employee of the Department to be a member of the Civil Aviation Authority Board; to amend the provisions relating to the appointment and removal of the Commissioner for Civil Aviation and matters related to his or her functions and responsibilities;
• amend the provisions relating to the performance agreement between the Minister and the Aviation Safety Investigation Board;
• clarify the provisions dealing with conflict of interest;
• provide for the designation of the Chairperson of the National Aviation Security Committee and matters connected with the operations of the Committee;
• delete the provisions dealing with compliance notices;
• amend the provisions dealing with appeals;
• authorise the Minister to issue exemptions and to prescribe additional offences and additional enforcement mechanisms;
• extend the powers of the Minister to make regulations;
• move the procedures for the establishment of consultative structures to the regulations; and to provide for matters connected therewith.
In addition to the written comments, please indicate your interest in making a verbal representation to the Committee.
Enquiries can be directed to Mr Hlupheka Mtileni on cell: 083 709 8448
Issued by Mr MK Mmoiemang, MP, Chairperson of the Select Committee on Transport, Public Service and Administration, Public Works and Infrastructure