Disaster Management Amendment BillCall for comments opened 19 July 2021 Share this page:
Submissions are now closed (since 26 August 2021)
The Portfolio Committee on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs invites you to submit written comments on the Disaster Management Amendment Bill [B2-2021].
The purpose of the Bill is:
• to amend the Disaster Management Act,2002, so as to amend the duration of a state of disaster • to provide that any action taken as a result of a declaration of a state of disaster is only effective prospectively
• To provide that only the National Assembly, a provincial legislature or a council of a municipality may resolve to extend a national, provincial or local sate of disaster respectively and to provide for the duration of the extension
• to provide for the requisite majorities required in the national Assembly, provincial legislature and council of a municipality in order to extend the disaster
• to provide that a resolution to extend a national, provincial or local state of disaster, as the case may be, may only be adopted after public debate in the respective legislatures
• to provide for oversight by the National Assembly and provincial legislature over a national or provincial state of disaster; respectively
• to amend the provisions dealing with the lapsing of national, provincial or local state of disaster and the termination of the regulations and by-laws made in terms of it.
Comments can be emailed to Ms S Cassiem at email@example.com by no later than Thursday, 26 August 2021.
Please note that all correspondence should be addressed to Ms Faith Muthambi , Chairperson: PC on Cooperative
Enquiries can be directed to Ms S Cassiem on cell at 083 709 8533
Issued by Ms F Muthambi, MP, Chairperson: PC on Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs