From the Government Gazette and Media Statements (26 September 2022)
- Eskom has issued a media statement announcing three new programmes that:
- ‘initially … will focus on generators capable of supplying more than one megawatt to the grid’, and noting that
- ‘over time the threshold will be lowered to enable smaller producers to participate’.
LEGAL PRACTITIONERS’ FIDELITY FUND
- The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development has called for public comments on a draft ministerial determination:
- to be made under sub-section 55(1) of the 2014 Legal Practice Act (pecuniary loss resulting from theft of money or other property held in trust by an attorney or advocate on behalf of a client), and
- proposing that the maximum amount per claim should be set at R5 million.
- The Department of Trade, Industry and Competition has gazetted a notice calling for public comments on draft guidelines outlining a ‘general approach’ to be followed by the Competition Commission in determining whether information exchanged between competing companies amounts to a contravention of section 4 of the Act (prohibited restrictive horizontal practices).
- The Commission’s small merger notification guidelines have been revised and published with an accompanying media statement.
AGRICULTURAL PRODUCT MARKET ACCESS
- The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has gazetted three notices drawing attention to Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act criteria to be met when applying for:
- an import permit for certain products covered by longstanding World Trade Organisation agreements
- an export permit under the economic partnership agreement between the UK, Southern African Development Community (SADC) member states and Mozambique (in effect since 1 January 2021), and
- an export permit under the 2016 SADC-European Union economic partnership agreement.
Prepared by Pam Saxby
About this blog
"That week in Parliament" is a series of blog posts in which the important Parliamentary events of the week are discussed.