From the Government Gazette and Media Statements (10 May 2021)
From the Government Gazette and Media Statements
COVID-19 STATE OF DISASTER
- The Department of Basic Education has confirmed that its presidential youth employment initiative, focusing on supporting learning and teaching in schools during the Covid-19 epidemic, has come to an end.
- The Legal Practice Council has called for public comment on proposed amendments to the code of conduct for legal practitioners.
- The South African Law Reform Commission has begun the process of pre-1994 legislation in the justice portfolio ‘designed to foster the policies of apartheid’ but nevertheless apparently ‘neutral’ and not in contravention of constitutionally enshrined values. Written submissions are welcome.
TRADE, INDUSTRY AND COMPETITION
- Draft amendments to the Competition Commission’s small merger notification guidelines have been gazetted for public comment.
- Draft regulations on water used in onshore hydraulic fracturing and/or underground gasification exploration and production activities have been gazetted for public comment.
- Amendments have been made to the November 2020 regulations on extended producer waste management responsibilities in the electrical/electronic equipment, lighting and paper/packaging sectors.
- Draft regulations prescribing the protective measures to be taken by anyone authorised to hold, use, handle or process nuclear material and guard against its unauthorised removal have been gazetted for public comment.
- A draft artisanal and small-scale mining policy has been gazetted for public comment.
- Proposals for the levies to be imposed on various financial institutions and their intermediaries for 2021/22 have been released for public comment.
Prepared by Pam Saxby
About this blog
"That week in Parliament" is a series of blog posts in which the important Parliamentary events of the week are discussed.