Share this page:

That week in Parliament

Showing posts from: November 2022

None
21 November 2022

From the Government Gazette and Media Statements (21 November 2022)

ENVIRONMENTAL COMPLIANCE AND ENFORCEMENT REPORT 2021/22 According to a Department of Forestry, Fisheries and the Environment media statement on the latest report: the unlawful commencement of listed activities affecting air and water quality continues...
None
21 November 2022

The Week Ahead: Municipal Matters & Men’s Parliament

Parliament, in partnership with the South African National Aids Council, will host a two-day National Men’s Parliament today and on Tuesday, 22 November under the theme: “Takuwani Riime! Institutionalising a Responsive Men’s Movement.” This third...
None
17 November 2022

Climate Change and Parliament 2022

  In this short review, we examine the actions and effectiveness of the South African Parliament in achieving outcomes in relation to the climate change agenda. We also highlight the observations, comments and recommendations of key stakeholders. READ...
None
14 November 2022

From the Government Gazette and Media Statements (14 November 2022)

CLEANER ENERGY: THE ‘JUST TRANSITION’ PROCESS National Treasury and the Department of Public Enterprises have issued a joint media statement on converting the Komati coal power station into ‘a site for renewable energy generation’. According to the...
None
14 November 2022

The Week Ahead: Independent Panel decision & Taking Parliament to the People

There's a full and mixed flavour to the coming week's parliamentary business. But everything will be overshadowed by the decision of the independent panel, which has to determine whether President Ramaphosa has a prima facie case to answer on Phala...
None
07 November 2022

From the Government Gazette and Media Statements (7 November 2022)

PREFERENTIAL PROCUREMENT Revised regulations reflecting the requirements of the February 2022 Constitutional Court ruling have been gazetted. They will be in force from 16 January 2023.   DRAFT WHITE PAPER ON THE SUSTAINABLE USE OF SOUTH AFRICA’S...
None
07 November 2022

The Week Ahead: Mini-plenaries

There are five weeks left until Parliament rises for the year. In the remaining days, lawmakers are scheduled to vote on several Bills, approve government spending, hold debates, scrutinise government performance, conduct oversight visits, consider...
None
03 November 2022

“Small parties” in Parliament

Our current electoral model of proportional representation (PR) is designed specifically to create space for a multi-party constitutional democracy. The three-largest parties (ANC, DA & EFF) occupy 90% of the National Assembly seats. The remaining 10%...